Civil Union Licenses

Application Process

Both parties need to be present during office hours to complete the Civil Union License Application. If one party cannot be present, he or she must complete a Civil Union license application before a notary public prior to the application at the office. The ceremony may take place anywhere within the State of Colorado. The license is valid for 35 days, including the date of issuance. The parties are not required to be Colorado residents to apply for a Civil Union license.

For applicants who have been previously married, or party to a Civil Union must be prepared to supply the date, place and court, if divorced or if there was a dissolution. If deceased, the date, place of death, and the name of spouse/partner will be need to be furnished.

Locations for Application
Meeker Office
555 Main Street
P.O. Box 1067
Meeker, CO 81641

Phone: 970-878-9460

8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Rangely Office
209 E. Main Street, Suite 101
Rangely, CO 81648

Phone: 970-675-9465

9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
  • $30 application fee.
  • Both parties to the marriage must be of age (18 years old).
    If the bride or groom are less than 18 years old, but more than 16 years old, the consent of both parents or the parent having legal custody (documentation provided) is required. If under 16 years old, a court order is required in addition to parental consent.
  • Legal identification is required.
    Valid Driver's License or ID, Passport, or certified copy of birth record.
  • No blood test is required.
    Beginning July 1, 1989, blood tests are no longer required in Colorado.
Couples may not apply for a Civil Union license while still married or a party to a Civil Union with another person. Divorces or dissolution of a Civil Union must be final before application is made.

Civil Unions between ancestor and descendant, brother and sister, uncle and niece, or aunt and nephew, whether the relationship is by half or whole blood, is prohibited. Cousins are permitted to join in a Civil Union in the State of Colorado.

Civil Union Ceremonies
Persons in Colorado authorized by law to certify a Civil Union are: judges, retired judges, magistrates, Indian tribe officials, clergy, and the parties. Clergy do not need to be registered in Colorado and may be from out-of-state.

Although couples may certify their own Civil Union, friends or relatives cannot certify the Civil Union. Friends and relatives may participate in the ceremony, but may not certify the Civil Union. Couples may self-certify their Civil Union in the County Clerk's offices after completion of the application or at any ceremony location and time of their choice.

Completing & Returning the Civil Union License
Complete the bottom portion of the Civil Union license including county, date of Civil Union, place of ceremony, and signature lines. The person certifying the Civil Union must sign and indicate his/her official title. If certified by the parties, both must sign the line for the person(s) certifying the Civil Union and indicate Party 1 and Party 2 on the official title line. The parties must also sign on the lines for the Party 1 and Party 2 in the lower right hand corner. The person certifying the Civil Union is responsible to return the license to the issuing county clerk's office within 63 (sixty-three) days of the ceremony. Witnesses are not required by law. There is no age requirement for a witness.

Certified Copies of the Civil Union License
The Civil Union license is recorded in the county where issued. The original certificate is mailed to the return address indicated on the Civil Union license, generally within 1-2 working days. The cost for a certified copy of the Civil Union license is $1.25.

Civil Union License Records
Civil Union licenses are public information. Only Civil Union licenses issued by Rio Blanco County are recorded in the county records. Ceremonies may take place in Rio Blanco County with the license recorded in another Colorado county.