My home is going to be foreclosed, what should I do?

Contact the Colorado Foreclosure Hotline, at 1-877-601-HOPE. This is a free service for homeowners who have missed a payment or are in danger of foreclosure. The Colorado Foreclosure Hotline connects homeowners with trained professional housing counselors. These counselors will help borrowers understand their options while working with the borrower and the lender to help avoid foreclosure. Call toll-free at 1-877-601-HOPE. From the Colorado Attorney General's office: You might receive offers of "help" from complete strangers in the mail, over the telephone, and at your door. Some of these people may attempt to steal the equity you have built up in your home. Don't sign any documents until you have had time to review them carefully. Contact a HUD-approved housing counselor or a private attorney to help you review and understand the documents. Remember - Any kind of "Deed" (warranty deed or quit claim deed) means you are selling your home. Contact your lender, explain your financial situation, and work out a payment plan. A foreclosure against your home officially begins when a document called a "Notice of Election and Demand" is recorded. You will receive formal notice of this document from your Public Trustee. The foreclosure sale of your property will take place between 110 and 125 calendar days (for non-agricultural property) after the Notice is recorded. The law gives you the right to bring your loan current to stop the foreclosure. To do this, you must file a Notice of Intent to Cure with your Public Trustee at least 15 days before the scheduled sale date. Contact the Public Trustee's office for further information or contact your private attorney for assistance.

Show All Answers

1. My mortgage has been paid off, how is the release handled?
2. I want to purchase a property at the sale, what is the process?
3. What are some of the costs of the Public Trustee?
4. My home is going to be foreclosed, what should I do?